Monday, December 7, 2015
Knowledge & Construction
As I reflect on my teaching from the last few years until now, I realize that in just this year my teaching style has changed. I am not sure if it is the math program that I am currently using or seeing my own children struggle with rote concepts. Don't get me wrong I still believe in having math facts memorized but what I am struggling with is having homework that lasts for hours and consists of 15 of the same problems. I have found that in my third grade class I am allowing for more "math talks", questioning, discovering and new ideas. Students are usually put into groups or paris and are given a math task to complete. Their knowledge is challenged when they aren't given much guidance, they are sometimes required to apply prior knowledge for this new taks. Over the last few months I have witnessed dependent students become more independent when I tell them to try and solve their own problem. There is less reassurance from me and more assurance from within as well as their group ofr partner. I feel that by me taking a step back and letting then discover concepts on their own I am giving them a different perspective on math.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jackie, I wish I was doing more of what you are doing. The one opportunity that my instructional coach keeps telling me I have is , letting the students struggle a little and figure it out on their own. I think I get frustrated that they are not getting it right away, so I fast track the lesson or activity by showing them the steps to take to solve the problem. I do have some students that will take a task and figure it out using strategies that they have in their toolbox, however the students that either get frustrated or just don't want to do it cause me to get frustrated and talk them through it. I need to give them more time to solve the problem by using their knowledge and ability to work cohesively in pairs or groups.
ReplyDeleteIt seems that even though I have been in the same grade level for several years, I seem to do something different every year. Each year, we receive new professional development or new trainings, I try something new, I adapt my teaching style, but yet, nothing seems to get easier. This seems to be the one profession where just when you think you have it, you realize you don't. There is always more to do, or you find a better way, or you try something new. I completely agree though that with everything that is ever changing, the one constant that seems to be the most productive and beneficial, is when I am able to step back and just let them learn. By just letting them explore, create, and discover, those seem to be the most rewarding lessons.
ReplyDeleteIt seems that even though I have been in the same grade level for several years, I seem to do something different every year. Each year, we receive new professional development or new trainings, I try something new, I adapt my teaching style, but yet, nothing seems to get easier. This seems to be the one profession where just when you think you have it, you realize you don't. There is always more to do, or you find a better way, or you try something new. I completely agree though that with everything that is ever changing, the one constant that seems to be the most productive and beneficial, is when I am able to step back and just let them learn. By just letting them explore, create, and discover, those seem to be the most rewarding lessons.
ReplyDelete