Thursday, December 10, 2015
Self Regulation
As I reflect on what I learned today about Self -Regulation, I find myself in an internal conflict. As a teacher for 17 years there have been many ways that I have given feedback to my students. The most common would have to be with a grade and some feedback as to what was wrong or what needed to be added. If many students needed lots of feedback I would of course reteach the content. I have never really looked at the students giving themselves feedback and doing an assignment over and over based on that feedback. In class tonight Shari talked about the different ways to give feedback, the first was just a grade and no feedback, the second was with both feedback and a grade, the third was just feedback, percentage wise most of the kids that got feedback only were more likely to "redo" their work... why is this... When I reflect on that one thought I think of my own teenage daughter, whom in middle school was allowed to re-do a lesson after her teachers had given her feedback. She was changing her work based on what content was either wrong or missing. Fast forward to High School where they don't let you re-do or monitor your work based feedback, which is the highest level of the elevator. I'm not sure where this puts me.. Was my daughter while in middle school being fooled because she was allowed to re-do something based on feedback and now in High School she is "hosed" because the grade you get is the grade you get.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Jackie I completely agree with you. I am in a conundrum as well. Up until now, I have instructed, scaffolded, supported, and then assessed. However, if you look at it from the self-regulating perspective of providing feedback and then an opportunity to change as being the most effective, then I am a questioning if I am doing what is best for my students. I recently tried this approach in my classroom by allowing my students to take the assessment and then provided feedback and time to improve before grading. The outcome was positive, but do I do this for everything going forward? Do I pick and choose some assignments over others? At what point are we enabling and not actually helping?
ReplyDeleteOur principal wants us to have feedback on any assignment that we grade and hand back, so that the students is aware of what they need to work on. I keep track of those students that need to be retaught the information based on the feedback, because if I didn't, I would be lucky if some of my students and their parents would take the time to look at the feedback. I have learned that if I am going to give feedback or if I am going to have my students give feedback to each other, that focus on their opportunities and fix them in class.
ReplyDelete