My Learning team consisted of Tracey Tresely who teaches at Palmer ES r and Chris Coleman who teaches at Anderson ES. Since we were all working on AREA at the same we decided to do our project on AREA. Tracy and Chris's schools math programs are currently Engaged New York while my school is doing Georgia Math. Since I had an AREA lesson with me we decided to have our project be on that lesson. It is called OOPS, I'm Decomposing, the content standards that it is aligned to is 3.MD.7 -Relate AREA to the operation of multiplication and addition using the distributive property.
As a team we decided to focus our learning content on Collaboration and Knowledge of Construction. During the implementation of this I saw my students making decisions together, using newly acquired academic language (area, multiplication, array), as well as planning their outcomes.
The lesson started off with students getting a cm paper, they had to create an area of 11x8, they were then asked to make the AREA a different way using different numbers to create the total of 88. This is where the Knowledge of Construction came into play, students were required to construct a new problem with in the problem they already had. I was really impressed with their knowledge, determination and collaboration on how to accomplish this task. Of course there were the groups that struggled with the math but they were definitely collaborating.
I enjoyed collaborating with Tracey and Chris, It made the evaluation process easier as we could look at each others students work with a different perspective.
It was great to work with you Jackie. I hope that we can continue to keep in touch and possibly observe each other teach.
ReplyDelete